Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Got The Job Fair Blues? Just Go! You May Find The Un-Expected...

Lately, I've heard a lot of negative about job fairs. Particularly how there are "too many" job-seekers and not enough jobs at the events.

That may be true, but even if you don't get a job right away, going to a job fair is a great way to network and bond with other "job challenged" professionals like you! That being said, I was excited to attend WaMu Center's Career Services Job Fair on 3/25.

In addition to seeing other recently laid off WaMu colleagues, I met several potential employers!

Some Seattle-area Staffing Agencies in attendance were:

iMatch
Kelly Financial Resources
Wimmer Solutions
Ajilon Office
Accountants Inc.
Comsys
Hansell Tierney
Volt Technical Resources
Volt Services Group
Creative Cirlce
Law Dawgs

E-mail me if you'd like contact details/names for any of these companies. (e-mail @ post end)

The Un-Expected...

Though I was excited to attend the job fair, part of me thought it might be depressing having so many other "job challenged" folks in one place.

To the contrary, it was a motivating, empowering, and bonding experience!

Besides potential employers, I saw many former WaMu co-workers. It was a reunion of sorts; everyone getting together like old times! It was a bonding experience; we were all in the same boat; actively "looking" for work. We exchanged greetings, business cards, and caught up with each other on happenings since our recent lay off.

What's Next?

Did I get a job offer yet? No, but I exchanged numbers with potential employers.

Job-seeking is a process, similar to dating (and eventually getting married). I didn't get a marriage proposal a week after meeting my husband. It took time.

Finding a quality job takes time too!

For now, I'm going to stay patient and positive. I'll stay in touch with my network and (try to) stay away from negative news.

I hope to see you at the next event! The Career Fair on April 22 at WaMu Center.

Join me on Job Spot Seattle on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=1236757

or check my blog again soon for more event details.

As Always, Happy Networking!

- Terry

job.spot.seattle@gmail.com

No comments:


Bookmark and Share

Blog Talk Radio

Photobucket

Job_Spot_West_Coast at Yahoo! Groups

Job Spot Seattle on Yahoo! Groups

Twitter / TwitJobSearch

craigslist | all jobs in seattle-tacoma

Plaxo Badge